Re: process request -- was: Using a Smart Client

> On 8 Mar 2015, at 02:56, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

>>> ?!?
>>>
>>> Sorry but participation in W3C WG requires all members to use the
>>> same mailing list. We can't just work over 20 different channels.
>>> What is written elsewhere, is not archived by the W3C and so has
>>> no weight in the process.
>> You could also meet on IRC and even use one time call bridge
>> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialig#Instructions_for_creating_a_one-time_call_bridge
>>
>> AFAIK you can invite RRSAgent any time to #social IRC channel and
>> it will log the conversation http://www.w3.org/2002/03/RRSAgent
>>
>> Henry, I can understand your frustration but also please understand
>> that Tantek, Aaron and other IndieWeb folks find mailing lists
>> unproductive and draining energy. IMO we don't have 20 but just 4
>> official channels: mailing-list, wiki, IRC, tracker + telecons
>> which gives us enough flexibility to not force others to do
>> something they really don't want to do. And I know that you use IRC
>> anyways :)
>>
>> BTW on #indiewebcamp IRC i see Postel's law mentioned pretty often
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle "Be conservative
>> in what you send, be liberal in what you accept"
>>
>> Cheers!
>>

>>> I'd like clarification on process from the W3C
>
> They are subscribed to the mailing list and attend calls. However, I
> don't think there's any part of W3C process that requires WG members
> to respond to every email they get. I suggest that you try to chat
> with them over IRC as well, and we can raise this issue on the next
> telecon.

Fine for raising it at the next teleconf.
To prepare for that I'll write up some thoughts we can refer to:

I was not arguing that WG members MUST answer every email sent to a
list, that would be preposterous. It seems that Tantek - one of the
co-chairs, no less! - does on  principle not answer any e-mails on this
Working Groups list. That seems to be confirmed  by the list's Web
Archive

  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-socialweb/

Are you sure that there does not have to be engagement by the Chairs
with discussion in a Working Group? Does a Working Group on which no
discussions takes place seem to you a bit of a broken one? I for
one have never seen this either at the IETF or at the W3C.

Imagine if everybody were like this.  We would then need to draw up a
list of all the preferred communication tools use by each of the members
of the Group, so that we could work out how to communicate with them.
Presumably we'd need to communicate with more than one person on different
channels, and so we'd need to repeat the same message again and again.
This fragmentation of conversation across multiple incompatible channels
is the whole bane of the so called current social networks.

Henry

PS. Is it so difficult for Tantek to even answer an e-mail
saying he'd rather chat about this on a logged IRC channel? Does one
have to go through a middle man? ( Elf ) Or was Elf just guessing
that an IRC conversation would have a better chance?
   Tantek could specify some times at which he is available to meet up.
Or  does  he expect I should know when he is online, and be ready 24/7
to answer? Or does he expect that asynchronous one line conversations
on IRC is more fruitful than an asynchronous conversation in e-mail
where one can put a bit of context into the message?

Henry

>   cheers,
>        harry
>

>>> Henry