RE: Levels of Conformance discussed on April 10, April 17, 2020

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 15:25:09 +0000
To: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
> About 3 – 5 levels: Likert scales (a common usability metric) usually consist of 5 points. This would keep Silver consistent with already accepted norms.

If we are asking people to evaluate something on a scale then the main thing is: How easy is it to evaluate the thing and match it to a point on the scale?

Likert is generally used on opinion based thing (an agree-disagree scale), what we are asking people to do is a bit different. If there are obviously discrete categories that work for the guideline, then fit the number of options to those categories for each guideline.

It might best be 3 for some things, 7 for others. I don’t think it is worth getting stuck on that at this stage.

I suggest defaulting to 4 or 5, and seeing how that works across the guidelines.

-Alastair