Question on FHIR references - relative and absolute URIs

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 13:01:47 -0400
To: Grahame Grieve <grahame@healthintersections.com.au>, Lloyd McKenzie <lloyd@lmckenzie.com>, "its@lists.hl7.org" <its@lists.HL7.org>, w3c semweb HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Grahame and/or Lloyd,

In today's FHIR RDF teleconference, a question came up about relative
and absolute URIs in FHIR references.

Must absolute and relative references be round tripped as is?  I.e., do
we need to maintain the distinction between relative and absolute
references when round tripping, or can relative URIs be turned into
absolute URIs and vice versa?

I did not see any mention of normalizing references in the discussion of
Canonical JSON:
https://hl7-fhir.github.io/json.html

Thanks,
David Booth