Re: Comics and periodicals, call for feedback: round 2 (was Re: Comics and periodicals in schema.org)

Replying to myself is getting to be a bad habit, but oh well...

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Dan Scott <denials@gmail.com> wrote:
> Replying to myself is bad form, but oh well...
>
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Dan Scott <denials@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I would like to make a call for another round of +1, -1, and
> especially concrete suggestions / feedback and objections so that we
> can work together in a timely fashion to finalize this proposal [1],
> and get it into the hands of public-vocabs for another round of
> discussion and feedback. Wouldn't it be nice to see structured
> Periodical schema.org-namespaced data in the wild in 2014?
>
> 1. http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Periodical

So, in the interest of both incorporating one of the good bits of
Karen's counter-proposal (endPage and startPage properties), and
aligning ourselves more closely with the Bibliographic Ontology (Bibo)
[1] per Ross Singer's suggestion, I would like to suggest a change to
the name and definition of the pagination property, along with the
addition of pageEnd and pageStart properties.

This is a small change that would consist of the following four actions:

a. Add "pageEnd" and "pageStart" properties per Bibo everywhere that
"pagination" has been added. We might as well keep the same name that
Bibo uses, and this helps group the pagination-related properties in
schema.org documentation. These properties are used to define the
start and end pages for documents (articles and periodical issues for
the scope of this proposal) that have consecutively numbered pages.
Their range would be Text.
b. Change the name of the "pagination" property to "pageNumbers". Bibo
uses "pages", but "page numbers" was used more frequently than
"pagination" in the MLA and APA style guides that I consulted. [2]
c. Change the definition of the "pageNumbers" property to reflect that
it is to be used to describe the pages for documents that do not run
across consecutively numbered pages (for example, "1-6, 9, 55").
d. Align bibo:pageEnd, bibo:pageStart, and bibo:pageNumbers to
schema:pageEnd, schema:pageStart, and schema:pageNumbers via sameAs
assertions in the schema.org RDFS.

1. http://bibliontology.com and
https://github.com/structureddynamics/Bibliographic-Ontology-BIBO, but
http://neologism.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bibo offers a human readable HTML