Re: schema-course-extend: credential or award offered through course.

On Thursday, August 18, 2016, Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello all, one last call for feedback on this (sorry I left it hanging
> earlier in the summer, if you really have the time you can review the
> discussion at https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schema-course-ex
> tend/2016Jun/0019.html )
>
> In short I propose:
>
> 1. that we provide a property of course which can be used to point to an
> educational credential that may be available to those who complete a course.

+1

> 2. that the expected type for this property be Text or Thing until such
> time as a specific model for educational credentials be created

-1 (see above)

> 3.  that we do not attempt to model educational credentials as part of
> this work.

It's already modeled,  ...

> It is on point 3 that I would most welcome feedback.
>
> See http://course.schema-course-extend.appspot.com/educationalCr
> edentialAwarded for details
>
> Brief Rational: the ability to provide a name and a URI for and
> educational credential which may be obtained by successful completion of
> the course is enough fulfil the use case requirement of being able to find
> courses that offer some specific requirement; modelling educational
> credentials would divert us from completing what is necessary to fulfil the
> other use cases; and, educational credentials touch on many communities
> that are not well represented in this group.

I seem to have been highly distracted
Angry without work

This is not at all controversial:

  Thing > CreativeWork > Credential

We could, instead, choose not to define CredentialInstance at this time
(because the relation between {Person,Organization} and {Credential >
{...}} is out of scope for this go-round?