Re: ISSUE-51: Another possible compromise for metadata syntax

As mentioned in last week's call ... orthogonal to the issue of where
the metadata can go is the question of what metadata can be expressed.

My starting point is that the metadata should be mappable to RDF since
that is the metadata standard for the semantic web.

In Jos' original proposal metadata values were expressed in an
RDF-compatible way using an N3/Turtle like notation. This had the
disadvantage that a separate RDF mapping needed to be specified but the
advantage that structured metadata values are possible, indeed easy to
express.

In particular, I would like to be able do things like use the FOAF
vocabulary to describe a rule author. This requires the ability to have
structured values ideally including blank nodes. Jos' proposal handled
this fine.

In the current BLD proposal metadata is restricted to Frames, one per
Rule/Group. This has the converse advantages/disadvantages - the RDF
mapping is already defined but there is no ability to express structured
values other than via Uniterms.

To address this issue would it be appropriate to either (a) define a
notion of nested Frames or (b) allow multiple Frames within the metadata
block which can then use explicit Consts to link from one frame to a
related frame?

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England