RE: Editor's Draft of UCR (more or less) ready

Hi Dave,

> 3. The example rules do not word-wrap, making the document
> unreadable in printed form.

Actually, Sandro updated the draft and this issue is now fixed. Rule
snippets how look just as they do on the wiki.

A related (minor) issue is that rules are structured differently. For
example,

  If an item is perishable and it is delivered more than 10 days after
  the scheduled delivery date then the item will be rejected.

vs.

  If x is a ComputeNode in Rack r
     and Rack r is in Cage c
     and mc is a MaintenanceContract for Cage c
        then x is a Server with MaintenanceContract mc

Should we format them all like the latter for clarity, or is this too
artificial?

On the other hand, this doesn't work so well for policies, e.g.:

  Never disclose two different credit cards to the same online shop.

> o Requirement "XML types" needs rephrasing, I think this is
> supposed to
> specifically refer to XML Schema datatypes, "information
> types" is too
> ambiguous for me. I suggested a phrasing in:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2006Jun/0128.html
> However, I guess that's a bit long compared to the other entries in
> section 4. How about:
>    "RIF must support an appropriate set of scalar datatypes and
> associated operations as defined in XML Schema part 2 and associated
> specifications"  ?
>    or just " ... operations as defined in appropriate W3C
> specifications"

Yes, this req refers to XSD datatypes but also list structures. You're
right that it's a bit confusing; I added the link to the charter to help
clarify, but maybe it's not enough.

> o Missing requirement on external call out and SPARQL (see
> same message
> thread quoted above). How about:
>     "RIF should support an extensible mechanism by which rules can
> consult external "blackbox" information sources or query
> processors such
> as SPARQL data sources."  ?

It's listed under "needs more discussion" in the F2F3 list:
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/WD-DC

Maybe there's been enough discussion?

> ** Trivial nits
>
> o s/eight/ten/ (section 2, para 1)

Fixed on the wiki. I just added "In the second round, two new use cases
were added" after "These were grouped into eight general categories and
then synthesized as much as possible."

> o Suggest dropping para 2 of section 3, this reads more like
> an advert
> for the methodology and isn't helped by use of the term "project".

I had that feeling, too. Does anyone object to dropping it?

DavidH