Re: Input to UCR from Charter

Sandro Hawke wrote:
> I accepted ACTION-37 [1] to analyze the differences between requirements
> in the Charter [2] and UCR/Requirements [3] and see if we missed
> anything.  Leora and David ended up helping and doing much of the work.
>
> (1) We found two requirements in the charter that the WG has not
> discussed:
>
>   SPARQL
>
>      The Working Group should ensure the rule language is compatible
>      with the use of SPARQL as a language for query of the dataset, that
>      the extension mechanism is compatible with use of the SPARQL
>      protocol for fetching additional datasets, and should aim for
>      compatibility with SPARQL's use of XML datatypes, functions and
>      operators.
>
>      [[ It's not clear to me what we should do about this one at this
>      point.  Is there someone who wants to propose a Requirement based
>      on this, for phase 1? ]]

Well. There is 1.3 part 1.a.c on:
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/UCR/Critical_Factors_Analysis

Then there is the requirement I was asked to draft at the f2f:
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/RIF_rules_should_be_able_to_call_out_to_external_query_processors
That specifically mentions SPARQL and the SPARQL protocol.

I got lost on whether that requirement was suppose to instantiate
1.3.1.a.c or complement it but it's certainly a close match and
presumably is in the document somewhere?

The piece that requirement doesn't cover is use of XML datatypes,
functions and operators. I think that is a strong requirement and we
should reflect it in the document. How about:

[[[
Requirement. Supports alignment with key W3C specifications.

RIF will support scalar datatypes based on a subset of XML Schema part 2
datatypes. This subset will be compatible with the choices made in the
RDF and OWL specifications. A compatible core set of scalar datatypes
will be part of the phase 1 RIF recommendations.

The operations on scalar datatypes supported by RIF will be compatible
with relevant W3C specifications including XQuery functions and
operators, and the profile of those defined by the SPARQL specification.

The precise core set of functions and operators for such datatypes will
not be finalized before phase 2.
]]]

?

Dave

[BTW it is getting rather hard to find things in the Wiki. For example
following UCR on the front page used to lead to all the work we did on
"critical factor analysis" now there is only the bits which are actually
going in the document and that link seems to have got lost.]