Re: Last Call Response to ISSUE-73: RDFa Profile management

Manu,

A minor comment:

On 2/20/2011 1:23 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Profile Document Selection Algorithm
> ------------------------------------
>
> The RDFa WG discussed several algorithms for determining the correct
> profile to use. In the end, the simplest and most reliable mechanism
> seemed to be to do the following:
>
> 1. Always load the RDFa Core 1.1 default profile first.
> 2. If an "application/xhtml+xml" or "text/html" MIMEType is detected,
>     load the HTML+RDFa 1.1 default profile.
>
> Step #1 will be placed into the RDFa Core 1.1 specification. Step #2
> will be placed into the (X)HTML Host Language specifications.

I actually DISAGREE with this.  I think it is more sensible to have the
processor determine the media type, then act accordingly.  In fact, we
had already introduced text that supports that model [1]:

> A conforming RDFa Processor /must/ examine the media type of a
> document it is processing to determine the document's Host Language.
> If the RDFa Processor is unable to determine the media type, or does
> not support the media type, the RDFa Processor /must/ process the
> document as if it were media type |application/xml|. See XML+RDFa
> Document Conformance.

I say this is a minor comment because I believe the effect on document
processing is identical - it really just means that an implementation is
not required to read / process TWO default profiles in what is likely to
be the most common case.  After all, I think we all expect that HTML4 /
HTML5 documents are the most prevalent on the network.