Re: <time> values in HTML5

Fwiw ...

(We are getting a bit far afield from the question raised by
Jeni Tennison at the beginning of this thread, but when such
technical minutiae arise in the discussion, it's probably worth
having the record be correct.  So I offer a couple of pedantic
observations on details in HS's email; they do not, it seems to
me, affect the validity or otherwise of his overall argument.)

On Dec 4, 2011, at 11:58 PM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Booleans in XSD have a lexical space that accept "0" or "1", but ARIA
> states that take "true" and "false" don't take "0" or "1":
> http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/complete#aria-required (There are also
> ARIA states that take more than 2 values two of which are "true" and
> "false" and the others aren't "0" or "1"!)

It's not hard to define a subtype of xsd:boolean that
accepts only 'true' and 'false' (or any other subset of the
lexical space).  It's also not hard to define a union of
boolean (or of such a subtype) with another type containing
the other values needed in an enumerated type.

> The lexical space for various XSD number types includes leading and
> trailing whitespace as valid.

Not quite true; the lexical space of numbers in XSD does not
(as that technical term is defined by that spec) contain any
whitespace at all.  But almost true: for some types, the literal
is processed according to the value of its whitespace facet
before it is checked against the lexical space; it is this which
allows <e> 42 </e> to be valid when e is declared as having
type integer.

* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib
* http://balisage.net