RE: <time> values in HTML5

Noah et al.

I totally agree with "Traditionally, XSD Recommendations have taken (all too
many) years to hatch, and introduction of new types has been tied to such
big releases."

What you described is the old waterfall method of design. Standards like
many other software projects should be developed by Barry Boehm’s  Spiral
Model of the software process1. One starts small, tests the design and code,
and then extends the material in steps. A very good example of this is the
DICOM, Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine, standard
(http://medical.nema.org/). It has been developed in separate volumes
(modules). It also has supplements. A small part of the standard can be
created, extended, or improved and subsequently published without changing
the content of any of the volumes. Subsequently, the volumes are upgraded to
include the material present in the supplement

In order to maximize the use of a standard, the major finalized (core) parts
should be published expeditiously. Subsequently, after sufficient time, the
items that had need to be discussed and brought to a consensus can be
published in the form of supplements. This would permit XSD1.1 to be
published with only the most minimal of changes. Subsequently a supplement
that include an extended date schema could be published.

Parenthetically, one approach to the coding of the date data-types and other
simpleTypes that are strings that represent a compound type, such as
Day-Month-Year, would involve the addition of a concatenation operator to
the pattern element.  This would permit compound types to be defined from
combinations of simpleTypes. The individual simpleTypes could be separately
validated and tested prior to their inclusion in the compound type.

A similar approach could be applied to the HTML5 standard, which could be
published prior to achieving consensus on the final form of the XML version
and items such, as the use of prefixes for RDFa.

1)      Boehm, B. W., A spiral model of software development and
enhancement, Computer, 21, 61-72 (1988)

Bob Leif