Re: Test cases and examples for dataset entailment

Thanks for putting this all together.
My comments:

In "Basics": a dataset A is consistent with a dataset B if both can be
true at the same time. What you write looks more like "modularity" in a
logical sense.

T1.1: classically, entailment would be defined between datasets. RDF
entailment is between RDF graphs, FOL entailment is between FOL
formulas, DL entailment is between DL ontologies, etc. I think it's
better to say that RDF graphs are assimilated to RDF datasets that only
have a default graph. Thus, with harmless abuse of notations, we can say:

  { G } dataset-entails G

and

  G dataset-entails { G }

Then you don't have to distinguish T1.X and T2.X.

T2.X: we should not repeat tests that are already present in RDF test
cases, OWL test cases, etc. We can define meta-tests that can be used
with the existing test cases to generate concrete tests automatically:

"""
If a test case exists for entailment regime E such that G1 E-entails G2,
then:

  { G1 }  E-dataset-entails  { G2 }

If a test case exists for entailment regime E such that G is
E-inconsistent, then:

  { G } is E-inconsistent
"""

I would swap 3.X and 4.X. I talk about 3.X after.

T4.X: we can generalise this to:

"""
If a test case exists for entailment regime E such that G1 E-entails G2,
then:

  :n { G1 }  E-dataset-entails  :n { G2 }
"""

T3.X:

"""
If a test case exists for entailment regime E such that G1 E-entails G2,
then:

  :n { G1 }  *does not* E-dataset-entails  { G2 }

Note that this also applies if G1 = G2.

If a test case exists for entailment regime E such that G is
E-inconsistent, then:

  :n { G }  is *consistent*
"""

T5.2: this test is wrong. The empty graph does not entail

  :n {}

in general. To entail this, n must be in the vocabulary of the
interpretation. This means that the empty graph RDF-dataset-entails:

  rdf:type {}

for instance, but not:

  owl:sameAs {}

That's one possible argument in favour of getting rid of the dependency
to a vocabulary.

T6.X simply say we have open world assumption. Any entailment valid on a
subset of an RDF dataset are valid for said dataset. I don't think this
requires specific test cases. To test it, it suffices to combine any two
tests and verify that the entailments of the two tests hold.

T8.X is redundant with T2.X.

There are a few more tests that are worth putting in:

An inconsistent graph in a named graph allows one to derive any
conclusion within the graph, but does not affect other named graphs, nor
the default graph.

"""
If a test case exists for entailment regime E such that G is
E-inconsistent, then:

  :n { G }  E-dataset-entails  :n { :s :p :o }

but does not entail:

  { :s :p :o }

nor

  :m { :s :p :o }
"""

IRIs in different named graphs can denote different things:

"""
  { :s  owl:sameAS  "a" }
  :n { :s  owl:sameAs  "b" }
  :m { :s  owl:sameAs  "c" }

is OWL-dataset-consistent.
"""

Graph IRIs do not necessarily denote a graph:

"""
  { :n  owl:sameAs  "a" }
  :n { :s  :p  :o }

is OWL-dataset-consistent.
"""

Other tricky test case:

  { :p  rdfs:range  xsd:boolean .
    :s  :p  :n, :m, :o . }
  :n { :q  rdfs:range  xsd:string .
       :x  :q  :y }
  :m { :q  rdfs:range  rdf:HTML .
       :x  :q  :y }
  :o { :q  rdfs:range  rdf:langString .
       :x  :q  :y}

is RDFS-dataset-inconsistent.
"""
Note that this would be consistent if IGEXT was a function from IRIs to
graphs instead of resources to graph.

HIH
--AZ.

--