Re: Ill-typed vs. inconsistent?

On 11/12/2012 02:58 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>
>> What's the relevance of the distinction between “graphs containing ill-typed literals” and “inconsistent graphs” in the Semantics?
> The relevance is that it is quite possible to say sensible (and therefore consistent) things about ill-typed literals, such as that they are ill-typed.
>
>> The text stresses that the presence of an ill-typed literals does not constitute an inconsistency.
>>
>> But why does the distinction matter?
> I am not sure what you mean by "the distinction" here. Why would you expect that an ill-typed literal would produce an inconsistency? Why would the presence of an ill-typed literal make a triple false?
>
>> Is there any reason anybody needs to know about this distinction who isn't interested in the arcana of the model theory?
> I'm not sure what you consider to be "arcana". Someone who cannot follow the model theory probably shouldn't be using RDF.

Pat, I think a lot of people should be using RDF who are not interested
in the model theory.  It's a bit like people buys nails at the hardware
store without knowing all the materials characteristics of the metal
used.  (Whether they *can* understand the materials science is
irrelevant, of course.)

      -- Sandro