Re: regrets and a new spin on contexts

Le 29/04/2012 05:08, Pat Hayes a écrit :
> Sorry, I have been offline for a few days. I will tidy up and expand
> the wiki page ASAP, probably Monday.   In the meantime:
>
> On Apr 25, 2012, at 9:02 AM, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
>
>> The semantics does not say to what syntax it applies. There are
>> examples in TriG given, but does it mean that the semantics apply
>> to RDF Datasets?
>
> To the graphs in the dataset. However, I was using Sandro's
> convention for distinguishing between genuine graph names and mere
> dataset labels, and that needs the dataset syntax.

So it does not define a formal semantics of datasets. So the question is
still open: do we want to define a formal semantics for datasets or not?

>> This proposal does not make explicit what is the satisfaction
>> relation (the ⊨ symbol, \models in LaTeX
>
> Thanks, but I am allergic to latex.
>
>> ) that relates interpretations to the theories in the logic that
>> they satisfy.
>
> I was trying to avoid too much mathematical flimflammery, but I will
> write it out more exactly.

It is the most important part. It provides the technical details that
allow one to implement it. In order to be able to compare it to the
other existing proposal, you need to get the definitions straight.
People of this working group, all being highly educated I suppose,
understand maths.

>> It says: "the rest of the semantics (for triples, graphs, blank
>> nodes, etc.) are exactly as in the 2004 semantic specifications"
>>
>> but this is not enough. As an example, this is not sufficient to
>> determine what happen to bnodes (especially bnodes that appear in
>> different "named" graph).
>
> The semantics applies to graphs, so the blank nodes really are
> exactly as in 2004. We could change this, of course, but that is
> orthogonal to this issue.  It uses the Trig machinery only to attach
> names to graphs, since these names now can play a stronger semantic
> role.

Names are syntax. You can't say that we need names to define the
semantics and at the same time say that names are not in the syntax.

>> There's also the term rdf:Graph used in one example but nothing is
>> said about how it is interpreted in the model theory (but ok, it's
>> just an example).
>>
>> Yet anyway, with what's written I am able to extrapolate and what I
>> see is essentially the same as my proposal in [1], on top of which
>> the idea of "rdf:inherits" has been built.
>
> Yes, it is partly based on your idea. It amounts to a generalization
> of it along the lines of the Cyc-Guha-McCarthy context logic. (I
> stated this explicitly in the earlier draft which uses the "context"
> terminology, see
> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/RDFwithContexts#Two_current_ideas
> .)  It differs in that it the rdf:inherits provides a way to
> distinguish between graphs being merely named and those being
> asserted in a "context". I think it is important to keep this as an
> option, as this allows both your kind of intended uses (with a small
> syntactic overhead, admittedly, which I think can be minimized) and
> those in which people strongly do not wish to contextually-isolate
> their IRIs.
 >
> BTW, I intended this to be seen as as extension of your semantic
> idea, incorporating it into the RDF model itself. It changes the
> graph semantics so as to make a dataset (modified slightly using
> rdf:inherits and graph names) have your semantics as an option, that
> option being controlled by RDF content in the graphs.

Ok let's see, but my proposal was to make the semantics of datasets
distinct from the semantics of RDF and apply minimal changes to the
semantics of RDF.

AZ