Re: Attempt to provide semantics to Sandro's named graph design

On Apr 10, 2012, at 16:06 , Andy Seaborne wrote:

> Ivan,
>
> Most of it makes sense to me.
>
> Could you explain the need for conditions 3, please?  I see the need for a local functional mapping from <ui> to Gi, but why the reverse condition?
>
> It seems at odds with web style of multiple names for things and also of merging data at the RDF level without inconsistencies arising.
>
> If a process reads location "URL" at two different times T1 and T2, gets the same triples GV, which it labels events E1 and E2,
>
> then the app can't write
>
> E1 { GV }
> E2 { GV }
>
> i.e. the use case for an archiving web crawler can't be addressed directly.
>
> The cost of enforcing the condition when adding a new graph to an existing dataset is going to be not inconsiderable.

Hm. I think you are right. I am not sure what I had in mind when I added it to the conditions, but it is wrong. I have added a comment on the wiki page and will remove this later unless somebody feels it should be there. Thanks!

> "Subgraphs or Graphs"
>
> I don't think this is a local syntax issue. The parts of the labelling may be in different datasets, which are then brought together (actually, not possible by condition 3)

Yep, another reason to remove this.

But I am not absolutely sure what you are saying:-(

> Within one TriG file, several <u> {} blocks may make one graph labelled <u> overall -- that is a syntax issue.
>
> ((I don't see why the merge of datasets isn't the merge of their graphs with the same URI + the (IRI, graph) pairs for non-overlapping IRIs.))

Well, that may be doable... but this seems to be one (maybe the only real?) open issue at the moment in the WG.

Ivan

----