Re: Review of Turtle doc (part 2)

* Zhe Wu <alan.wu@oracle.com> [2012-04-09 14:02-0700]
> Hi Andy,
>
> On 4/9/2012 9:08 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> >
> >== 12.1 Media Type and Content Encoding
> >
> >Why is is "application/ntriples" and not "application/n-triples" given the language is called "N-triples"?  It would avoid confusion to make it "n-triples".
> >
> >"The content encoding of N-Triples is always UTF-8."
> >  Not true - if its "text/plain" then it's ASCII.
>
> According to a local Unicode expert, US-ASCII is a binary subset of UTF-8 so it is UTF-8.

I'm a strong advocate of single media type; encoding flexibility makes XML parsers very complex. That said, there may be use cases which motivate labeling
  <http://a.example/\u6587\u4EF6> <http://a.example/\u5A92\u9AD4\u985E\u578B> "application/n-triples;charset=us-ascii" .
as 7-bit safe and
  <http://a.example/\u6587\u4EF6> <http://a.example/媒體類型> "application/n-triples;charset=utf-8" .
as full UTF-8. A statement like "The content encoding of N-Triples is either UTF-8 or us-ascii" combined with an RFC2119 statement like "N-Triples parsers MUST parse UTF-8 documents" would accomplish this. Are there motivating use cases for this minor complexity? Does their value exceed the cost of possible divergence in N-Triples processors?

--
-ericP