Re: owl:sameAs/referential opacity Re: Can RDFstar be defined as only syntactic sugar on top of RDF (Re: weakness of embedded triples)

> Yes exactly. We are all thinking out loud here and the outcome is
> likely going to be some glued-on patch that isn't going to be perfect
> from a theoretical POV. But the fact that RDF is already widely used
> and implemented is an opportunity, not a problem.

Hi Holger,

We have an opportunity to make RDF less confusing, and that's achieved
via clarity.

From my vantage point, here's the problem:

Just as we reached a point where RDF understanding was gaining traction,
along come both RDF* and SPARQL* to muddy the waters.

If there were no existing solutions to expressing metadata that
describes data depicted as a graph that would be one clear problem, but
that simply isn't the case [1].

How else does one describe the signage and surface combination delivered
by an RDF graph and the document from which it originates? All solutions
to this problem include some degree of verbosity if precision is the quest.

This is neither RDF nor SPARQL, so why not give it a different name and
spell out its syntax-sugar orientation clearly?

Links:

[1] http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/system/files/swj1791.pdf --
Evaluation of Metadata Representations in RDF stores

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO