Re: Yes it can and should ;) Re: Can RDFstar be defined as only syntactic sugar on top of RDF (Re: weakness of embedded triples)

Jerven,

thanks for your feedback.

On 28/10/2020 12:29, Jerven Bolleman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Yes it can be defined as syntactic sugar, and IMO it should.
> Considering in the beginning that RDF* was defined in terms of RDF
> reification.

To be precise, RDF* was defined with an abstract syntax of its own, but
no specific semantics (instead, a projection to RDF standard reification).

What motivated us to propose a dedicated semantics was, mostly

* that standard reification has no specific semantics in standard RDF, and

* to provision for referential opacity (more on this below).

I'll discuss the second item below (as you mention it in the following
of your message).

> And it can be implemented that way e.g. as POC done for rdflib.
>
> Which gets is back to the reason what do we want to achieve with
> RDFstar? I think most of us want to have reification without the
> hassle of writing out a quad all the time. Plus having optimizations
> possible at the storage level/query engine.
>
> A solution for the triples with all IRI and/or Literals is simply
> generate an implicit IRI for them.
>
> For the triples with a blank node I think the simplest is to generate an
> implicit new blank node for them. (Which would be skolemized in some
> form in any triple store anyway).
>
> SPARQL and RDF syntax wise this would be simple. API wise this would
> also be easy in python rdflib. We have two new subclasses of URIRef,
> and BNode basically.
>

> class TripleUriRef(URIRef):
>
> class TripleBnode(BNode):
>
> in java rdf4j it would probably be something like
>
> interface Triple{
> }
> interface TripleIRI extends IRI, Triple {
> }
> interface TripleBNode extends BNode, Triple {
> }
>
> Semantics stay the same, we only get a new syntax for reification.
> Question about PG|SA stays unanswered by doing this.

I agree that this strategy would probably work if it wasn't for
referential opacity.

However, you would still need to specify a precise semantics for
rdf:subject, rdf:predicate and rdf:object, to specify how to handle
corner cases such as:

    :alice :says [ rdf:subject :bob ].

    :alice :says [ rdf:subject :bob, :charlie;  rdf:predicate :age;
rdf:age 42 ].

    :alice :says [ rdf:subject :bob;  rdf:predicate :age;  rdf:age 42 ].
    :bob :says [ rdf:subject :bob;  rdf:predicate :age;  rdf:age 42 ].

> For me as an user, what benefits would a different semantics for
> RDFstar bring?

Calling it a "different semantics" is slightly unfair; it is an
/extension/ of the standard semantics.

In any case, you need to extend the semantics, either of the new
abstract syntax (the approach we chose),

or of the specific vocabulary (here, rdf:subject and co.) used to
"encode" RDF* into RDF's abstract syntax.

Granted, the second option would be less disruptive. But it assumes that
referential opacity is not a problem (again, see below).

> Going the syntactic sugar route we don't need a specification for
> RDFstar, just for TurtleStar, RDF/XMLstar and SPARQLstar etc.
> Which we would need anyway.
>
> The problem here becomes, lack of a WG means we don't have a good way
> to determine consensus and actually record a decision.
The idea was to mimic a WG process as much as possible, to help things
move forward (with a report, github issues to track discussions and
decisions, and weekly calls).

> Still mapping RDFstar in terms of RDF reification leaves open the
> issue of referential opacity. I think that this is a red herring, I
> think the superman problem is an issue with datamodelling, which
> should not complicate our entire tech stack. i.e the :superman
> owl:sameAs :clarkKent is a faulty assertion and that fault leads to
> the impossibility to correctly express what :louislane believes.

owl:sameAs is a can of worms of its own. If you are not convinced by the
superman problem, what about:

    << dbr:Paris dbo:populationTotal 2229621>> :assertedBy
<http://dbpedia.org>.
    << geo:2229621 gn:population 2138551>> :assertedBy
<http://geonames.org>.
    dbr:Paris owl:sameAs geo:2229621.

Arguably, we don't want to infer that <http://geonames.org> says
anything about dbr:Paris (that is, if we want to preserve *which terms*
was used by each source, not only *which resource* they are describing).

  best