Re: use cases for RDF*

On 10/14/20 9:46 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> Back in June Pat Hayes stated (in
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-star/2020Jun/0010.html):
>
>> IMO, there is nothing useful that RDF* provides that could not be done
>> better using the named graph vocabulary, with a solid semantics which
>> also includes such things as notions of web publication, web speech acts
>> and signed warrants.
> Looking at the use cases that I have seen for RDF*, notably propositional
> attitudes, e.g. believes, and provenance, I realize that I agree with him.  I
> would go even further and remove the "with" part.
>
> So what use cases are handled well by RDF*?
>

> peter

Hi Peter,

I concur with the points made above. That is the view I've held from the
onset bearing in mind:

1. This is a non-issue for a combine Data Manipulation & Definition
Language (DDL and DML) Language such as SPARQL which has support for
Named Graphs

2. RDF is only a Data Definition Language which puts reification
verbosity in the "it is what it is" box.

Others in support of RDF* and SPARQL* :

Of additional concern is the use of SPARQL* to propagate RDF* confusion
into the SPARQL realm. By confusion, I am referring to the fact that
syntax sugar (a stylistic preference) is being conflated with RDF as we
know it and then propagated to SPARQL in the same manner, despite the
fact that Named Graphs already provide an accepted solution.

The fundamental issue at hand here is metadata handling.

I've stumbled across a nice paper that covers a variety of RDF store
approaches without introducing any of this RDF* and SPARQL* confusion [1].

Links:

[1] http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/system/files/swj1791.pdf --
Evaluation of Metadata Representations in
RDF stores

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen