Re: RDF star and LPGs

On 25/07/2024 05:17, Gregory Williams wrote:

> The more I look at this, the more I think that to get a good mapping,
> you’d have to enforce the use of reifiers on every triple, whether or
> not there are any annotations attached to the reifier. Triples without
> corresponding reifiers would simply be invisible in LPG data. And
> reifiers without corresponding asserted triples would have to be
> invisible as well.
>
> thanks,
> .greg

Let's refine exactly what we're trying for.

I don't think the WG objective is to define a systematic or universal
mapping from LPG to RDF. For any given data, a mapping may take into
account the LPG context, such as written documentation about the data,
to give a mapping that captures the usage and intent of the LPG data.
There may even be several mappings if the mapping enriches the data.

We should show that mappings from a specific LPG data domain to
publishable RDF are possible.

Secondly, automatic round-tripping is not a requirement. A reverse
mapping from RDF to LPG can be based on an understanding of the forward
mapping, taking into account unreified triples that are generated in the
forward direction. It would be nice if there is a
unique/canonical/preferred reverse mapping; it's not a requirement though.

A complete solution to LPG<->RDF is a working group in its own right.

     Andy