Re: RDFn

On Thu, 2024-01-04 at 11:45 -0500, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> Thanks.  I think I understand this RDFn,

I agree. Thanks Souri for providing this recent document which makes
the fundamental concepts that you have in mind more clear.

> except that the interaction between triples and edges is unclear.
> Does an edge entail the triple that is its first three components?
> Does a SPARQL query for :a :b :c . match :a :b :c :n. ?

These are also the two questions that came to my mind when reading
Souri's recent document.

Regarding the latter question, I understand that Souri also has in mind
to extend SPARQL with a notion of "edge patterns" that are meant to
match RDFn edges in an RDFn graph. Yet, even with such edge patterns,
the question that Peter asks remains.

> But why the first note?  There doesn't seem to be any issue with
> circular naming.

I think the issue is not about circular naming but about circular use
of such names. For instance, there may be the following two RDFn edges,
where the first one has the name of the second one as its subject and
the second one has the name of the first one as its subject.

 (:n2, :p, :o, :n1)
 (:n1, :pp, :oo, :n2)

Another question that I would add to the ones that Peter asks:
Regarding the functional dependency mentioned in the third note in
Section 3.1.2, what is the scope of the constraint expressed by this
FD? Does this constraint need to hold only among the RDFn edges within
a given RDFn graph or is it supposed to be of some global nature?
(Notice that this question is relevant only for edge names that are
IRIs, not for edge names that are blank nodes.)

Best,
Olaf