Re: Revisiting RDF-star semantics (was Re: Why is the RDF-star working group standardising RDF 1.2 and SPARQL 1.2?)

There isn't much to develop.
 From the abstract syntax point of view, it is very simple.

An interpretation is a tuple (IR, IP, IS, IL, IT, IEXT) such that:
  - (IR, IP, IS, IL, IEXT) is an RDF 1.1 interpretation.
  - IT is a function from the set of embedded triples to IR.

The "semantic conditions for ground graphs" (in Sec.5
https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-mt/#simple-interpretations) have to be
changed a little bit:

Definition: An RDF-star triple that have a subject that is not a blank
node, and an object that is not a blank node either, is called a *weakly
ground triple*. A weak ground RDF-star graph is a set of weakly ground
triples.

  - if E is a literal then I(E) = IL(E)
  - if E is an IRI then I(E) = IS(E)
  - if E is an RDF-star triple then I(E) = IT(E)
We introduce a separate function Itruth that maps RDF-star triples and
RDF-star graph to true or false:
  - if E is a weakly ground triple s p o, then Itruth(E) = true if
I(p) is in IP and the pair <I(s),I(o)> is iin IEXT(I(p))
otherwise Itruth(E) = false
  - if E is a weakly ground RDF-star graph then Itruth(E) = false if
Itruth(E') = false for some triple E' in E, otherwise Itruth(E) = true.

This means total opacity of embedded triples.

<< :s :p :o >> :x :y .

does not entail:

<< [] :p :o >> :x :y .

and:

<< _:a :p :o >> :x :y .

does not entail:

<< _:b :p :o >> :x :y .

assuming that _:a and _:b identify distinct blank node.

However, this is problematic when considering the concrete syntaxes.

If there are 2 separate files that each contains the following triple:

Then it is not the case that the graph represented by the first file
entails the one represented by the second file, because, a priori, the
blank nodes in these two graphs are distinct. This is very counter
intuitive. One possible semantic extension of this could impose that
isomorphic triples denote the same thing.

--AZ

--
Antoine Zimmermann
ISI - Institut Henri Fayol