RE: Real URLs for real things

Steven,

Great to hear XTech news. Thanks for this report. However, with all due
respect, I really dunno what you are trying to say here. It goes quite
against everything I believe in regarding linked data principles.

> And that set me thinking. Saying stuff about something that
> doesn't have a URL is hard, hard in RDFa, hard in RDF, and

Everything should have an URI to be usable on the Web of Data.

> So, does anyone feel that they have enough energy for us to
> propose a new type of URL, the primary topic of:

What is a 'new type of URL'? Do you mean a new schema? Do you mean URI?

> and so on. You would never be expected to dereference such a
> URL, and you can see that you are talking about a meta
> subject by inspection, and you can automatically derive:

Again. Use URIs. Use HTTP URIs. And follow your nose to more information
(hopefully again in RDF).

A lot of people had excellent thoughts on these issues, some worthwhile
readings are:

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/HTTP-URI.html

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Abstractions.html

http://dbooth.org/2007/uri-decl/

http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/pub/LinkedDataTutorial/

http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/2007/11/once-more-on-information-resou
rces-and.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2007Dec/0157.html

However, it might well be the case that I didn't get the context due to
not attending XTech ;)

Cheers,
	Michael

 Michael Hausenblas, MSc.