Re: Real URLs for real things

On Thu, 15 May 2008 17:30:09 +0200, Hausenblas, Michael
<michael.hausenblas@joanneum.at> wrote:
>> And that set me thinking. Saying stuff about something that
>> doesn't have a URL is hard, hard in RDFa, hard in RDF, and
>
> Everything should have an URI to be usable on the Web of Data.

Yes, that is what I am trying to suggest. What is my URI? (Me, not my
homepage) Answer: pto:http://www.cwi.nl/~steven, I can pull it out of thin
air.

>> So, does anyone feel that they have enough energy for us to
>> propose a new type of URL, the primary topic of:
>
> What is a 'new type of URL'? Do you mean a new schema? Do you mean URI?

Yes, sorry, I did mean URI. And I meant scheme (as I hope the examples
showed).

>> and so on. You would never be expected to dereference such a
>> URL, and you can see that you are talking about a meta
>> subject by inspection, and you can automatically derive:
>
> Again. Use URIs. Use HTTP URIs. And follow your nose to more information
> (hopefully again in RDF).

Too hard, that's what I am saying. Most people won't want to do all that
work, and furthermore typically are already getting it wrong (that was my
take away from the talk I was attending). If someone has done that work
somewhere, then inference should reveal it.

> A lot of people had excellent thoughts on these issues, some worthwhile
> readings are:

I'll take a look.

Thanks.

Steven