Re: RDF-ISSUE-17 (graph merge): How are RDF datasets to be merged? [RDF Graphs]

Hi Souri,

there seems to be a misunderstanding....

On 29 Mar 2011, at 16:07, Souripriya Das wrote:

> I am a bit rusty on the exact constructs right now (was too busy with the RDB2RDF spec), but it is relevant to construct(s) that let one append triples (from file, from other graphs, ...) into a graph.
> If there was no reuse-bnode option, we add new <property, value> pairs to a resource that was represented originally by a bnode identifier (instead of a URI).

Again: reuse of bnoeds is the current default behaviour for INSERT/ADD.

> So, take the example again:
>
> In graph G1, someone had originally used bnode _:b1 to describe a resource:
> _:b1   :name   <Rambo>
>
> Later, s/he found out that the guy is 60 year old and s/he wants to add this info to graph G1:
> _:b1       :age         "60"^^xsd:integer
>
> But, this can only be achieved if we allow reuse of bnode identifier. The bnode identifier, _:b1, in the new batch (of 1) triple being appended, MUST BE identified to the bnode _:b1 that has already been used in the graph. If _:b1 in the batch gets standardized to a separate identifier, say _:b123456, then the result of the append operation is completely different than what the user wanted.

You can do exactly that with

INSERT {   :age    "60"^^xsd:integer }
WHERE { ?X   :name   <Rambo> }