Re: a service description approach to accessingCollections

Dan Connolly wrote:
> Euler and cwm have some support for a list item construct.
> Jos wrote the rules...
>
>  {?S rdf:first ?X} => {?S o:item ?X}.
>  {?S rdf:rest ?B. ?B o:item ?X} => {?S o:item ?X}.
> in
>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JanMar/0079.html
>

> In Steve's service description sketch, he wrote...
>
> <http://triplestore.aktors.org/rdql/>
>         dawg:closedOver <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> ;
>
> to say that his service computes the RDFS closure of
> the background graph.
>
> In Helsinki, I think we talked about a way to associate
> a service with rules that it can mix with the input data
> to form the background graph.
>
> one approach to the accessingCollections issue is to
> take the o:item rules and put them somewhere... ah...
> I think I've done this...
>  http://www.w3.org/2001/03swell/listsAx.n3
>
> and write:
>
> <http://eulerBasedService.example/svc>
>   sparql:backgroundRules <http://www.w3.org/2001/03swell/listsAx>.
>
> which lets folks writing queries know that they can rely
> on o:item triples being there.
>
> Or we could simplify ala...
>
> <http://eulerBasedService.example/svc>
>   a sparql:ServiceThatKnowsHowToAccessCollections.
>
> I'm not sure I see enough value in standardizing this.
>
> I think it's just as well for the cwm/euler folks to
> write:
>
> <http://eulerBasedService.example/svc>
>   log:backgroundRules <http://www.w3.org/2001/03swell/listsAx>.
>
> and for folks that do what algae does to write...
>
> <http://eulerBasedService.example/svc>
>   a algae:CollectionHandlingService.

:) first a <http://algaeBasedService.example/svc>
and I understand the point of *describing* a service
but would like more freedom and not have fixed
log:backgroundRules for such semantic services
as rules can be easily passed at service time as
is done for any other set of triples, like you
do on the command line and my experience is that
webizing the command line works in a simple way
(there is an example in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2005Feb/0110.html
and because such webized command line uri's return sets
of triples, they can also be used as webized command
line arguments which are then recursively ulrencoded
so they can contain things like .cwm%2Bhttp%253A%252F%252F)