RE: Belated comments on SPARQL Protocol for RDF 25 January 2006 LC WD

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 10:33 -0500, Arthur Ryman wrote:

> Dan,

> BTW, there is a WSDL extension attribute wsdlx:safe [1] You can use
> that to mark on operation that is known to be safe, in which case it
> would be bound to GET.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/CR-wsdl20-adjuncts-20060106/#safety

I assumed we were using that. Kendall, are we not?
Hmm.

> Is the query operation supposed to be safe?

Yes.

> <operation name="query"
> pattern="http://www.w3.org/2006/01/wsdl/in-out">
>
> You have two HTTP bindings for it, GET and POST. Doesn't this violate
> Web architecture?

No.

>  If the operation is safe, it should be bound to GET.

It _is_ bound to GET; it's also bound to POST.

>  If the operation is not safe, it should not be bound to GET. Seems
> like binding the same operation to both GET and POST should never
> happen. Or are you leaving it up to the user?

Yes, with this advice:

[[
The queryHttpGet binding should be used except in cases where the
URL-encoded query exceeds practicable limits, in which case the
queryHttpPost binding should be used.
]]
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-protocol/#query-bindings-http

See also section 5 Practical Considerations in the relevant TAG finding:
  http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/whenToUseGet.html#practical

>  Does the safety depend on the actual query, i.e. some querys do
> updates (I have read the SPARQL spec) ?

We haven't specified updates in this version; nonetheless, some
queries don't fit in GET.

>  If so, having both bindings does make sense.Thx.

> Arthur Ryman,
> IBM Software Group, Rational Division
>
> blog: http://ryman.eclipsedevelopersjournal.com/

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E