[lholst@students.cs.uu.nl: following/preceding-sibling shorthands in XPath 2.0]

From: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:16:56 -0500
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
This was sent to www-xpath-comments.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/

attached mail follows:

What about creating shorthands for following-sibling and
preceding-sibling in XPath 2.0?

following-sibling::chapter[fn:position() = 1] could be
+chapter[1]

and

preceding-sibling::chapter[fn:position() = 1] could be
-chapter[1]

Neither + or - are legal characters to start an XML element name with,
so I think this syntax is possible. Other usage examples would be +[1]
and -[1] for +*[1] and -*[1].

In my company's product we have changed from our own targeting method to
XPath (shorthand notation), and this is one thing we're missing. We use
these selectors so often that we currently defined our own syntax for it
('~+chapter[1]' and '~-chapter[1]'), but we would prefer to use a
standardized method.

~Grauw