[XQuery] Error handling

From: Andrey Fomichev <fomichev@ispras.ru>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:18:48 +0300
To: <public-qt-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "Kanad Dixit" <kanad_dixit@persistent.co.in>, "Andrey Fomichev" <fomichev@ispras.ru>

Hello!

Kanad Dixit and I were discussing error handling facilities in XQuery for a
while. Most of problems
we have found were fixed in the last working draft released recently.
However we still have some
remarks and questions. Hope they will help to improve the specification.

1. Now XQuery explains rules for predefined error codes
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-identifying-errors).
   Unfortunately, error codes in summary
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-errors) and throughout the
   specification do not correspond to these rules.

2. Now XQuery mentions "err" namespace prefix
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-basics). But this prefix is
   not predefined like "xml", "xs", "xsi", "fn", "xdt" and "local". Why?
Does that mean that a XQuery
   programmer has to define the "err" prefix himself to call fn:error
function?

3. As far as we understand, a user can define his own error namespace for
dealing with errors (now there is
   an example in section http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-handling-dynamic).
Should it be clearly stated
   in the specification or it is obvious?