Re: XML Schema WG comments on Data Model

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 13:56, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@acm.org> was heard to say:
> [...]
> | 1.4. The implications of [validity] != valid
> |
> |     Section 3.6 para 2 reads in part: "The only information that can be
> |     inferred from an invalid or not known validity value is that the
> |     information item is well-formed."
> |     This is not true in the general case: the values of the properties
> |     [validity] and [validation attempted] interact, so that some
> |     inferences beyond well-formedness can be made. (If [validity] is
> |     'notKnown', for example, we can infer without examining the PSVI that
> |     [validation attempted] is not 'full'. If for some node N [validity] is
> |     'invalid', we can infer that declarations are available for at least
> |     some element or attribute information items in the subtree rooted in
> |     N.) The data model doesn't have to be interested in those inferences,
> |     but it is simply incorrect to say that they don't exist.
> |     On the whole, we believe that that the data model misses an
> |     opportunity by failing to exploit the information contained in the
> |     [validity] and [validation attempted] properties more fully.
>
> The offending text "The only information ... is well-formed" has been
> redrafted in the following way in response to your comment. Please let
> us know if this is satisfactory.
>
>   In the data model, precise schema type information is exposed for
>   Element and Attribute Nodes that are
>   well-formed XML and only very general schema type information is
>   associated with them.

The XML Schema Working Group has now discussed this issue and
your proposed resolution of it (at our call of 25 June 2004)
and has instructed me to reply to you to say that your proposal
addresses our comment successfully and looks quite satisfactory
to us.  (We cannot resist the temptation to remark that we
continue to believe that partial validity could be better
exploited by the query and transformation specifications.)

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen