Re: [XPath 2.0] Sequences can never be nested ... but what about function arguments?

Roger,

While I regret that XQuery's sequences cannot be nested (and have raised a
comment on this subject), I don't believe that the situation that you
observed constitutes an exception to this rule.

At 11:31 AM 6/14/2004 Monday, Roger L. Costello wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>In section 3.3 of the XPath spec it says:
>
>"Sequences are never nested-for example, combining the values 1, (2, 3), and
>( ) into a single sequence results in the sequence (1, 2, 3)."
>
>Aren't the arguments to a function a sequence?  If sequences cannot be
>nested, then the example in 3.1.5 would not be valid:

The answer, in short, is that the arguments to a function are not, in fact,
a sequence.  It is true that the syntax of function invocation involves a
comma-separated list of argument values enclosed in parentheses, but that
is explicitly not syntactically defined to be a sequence.

>"my:two-argument-function((1, 2), 3) denotes a function call with two
>arguments, the first of which is a sequence of two values."

The statement that you quote is precise and accurate (and correct).  The
function call has two arguments.  It does not have a "sequence of two
values", one of which is itself another "sequence of two values".  It has
two arguments.  The first argument is the value that is a sequence of
values "(1, 2)" and the second argument is the value "3".

>Do we not have a sequence with a nested sequence in this example?

Nope, we do not.

>It would seem that sometimes sequences can be nested (e.g., in function
>calls) and other times sequences cannot be nested.

Not true, since argument lists are (a)not defined syntactically to be a
sequence and (b)not represented in the data model at all, particularly not
as a sequence.

>Can someone clarify this please?  /Roger

Hope this helps,
    Jim

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063              Personal email: jim at melton dot name
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345
=  Facts are facts.  However, any opinions expressed are the opinions  =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =