Re: PROV-AQ: How to indicate SPARQL endpoint for provenance (ISSUE 609)

Tim,

You raise several issues here.  In this response, I want to focus on your final point about the URI template.

I think the uri template, or something that serves a similar purpose, should be mandatory to use.  This is because without this, the service is constrained on the uris it may use for delivering provenance descriptions, which rather flies in the face of REST architecture principles.  What I think we should be aiming for is maximum decoupling between client and server.

When you point your browser at Amazon, or an online banking site, the browser knows nothing about the nature of the site.  These are quite different sites, Yet you are able to interpret the links offered, and navigate to the functions you wish to perform, based on information provided by the service to which you connect.

To my mind, link relations and URI templates do for linked data what html pages and hyperlinks do for human-facing web applications.  In principle, an application should be able to follow an arbitrary link to a site, and from there figure out if there's anything it can do there.

So for me (and others), the link relations and service descriptions lie at the heart of a properly Web-friendly service interface.

Against this background, I want to think some more about your comments re the SPARQL endpoint, and also take account of feedback from the LDP group.

#g.