Re: provenance of provenance

Hi Satya,

On 05/17/2012 04:57 PM, Satya Sahoo wrote:
> Hi Luc,
>
>     In a sense, the approach is similar to Tim's approach
>     http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Using_graphs_to_model_Accounts,
>     where he was using a hash as the graph identifier. If the
>     descriptions change, so does the hash. I think using hash is too
>     strong
>     requirement, hence, we have regular identifiers.  (A secure
>     version could use them).
>
>     If an application does not wish to distinguish between two bundles
>     (note: a bundle does not have state!), ... then
>     it shouldn't produce bundles.  There is no requirement to generate
>     bundles.
>
> I did not understand - is there a construct other than bundle for
> handling multiple provenance assertions together? If bundle is the
> only construct available then we need to avoid "over-specifying" it.

What is overspecified?

An entity is a physical, digital, conceptual, or other kind of thing
with some FIXED aspects.

A bundle identifies a set of provenance descriptions. That's it's fixed
aspect. Other descriptions, mean other entity.

>>     2. I am not sure why provenance location, a function for
>>     accessing provenance and very often application/domain dependent,
>>     should be part of DM? "A provenance locator is information that
>>     helps locate provenance descriptions. It may identify a service,
>>     or may consist of a URI where provenance descriptions can be
>>     found." What if location of provenance of an entity or activity
>>     is written down as set of instructions on file (or paper) -
>>     provenance of a car is located in a file in the filing cabinet of
>>     manufacturer? In this case, the application cannot use the
>>     currently defined hasProvenanceIn construct.
>
>     There is no claim that we covering all possible ways of accessing
>     provenance. That's why we have attributes to allow other ways
>     to be expressed (you could encode there your instructions to find
>     a paper for instance).
>
> So, "target", "service", "provenance" (very uncomfortable with this
> label btw) are just specific examples of the generic "attributes" -
> this is not clear from the current signature.

I think that target needs to remain as part of the definition.

I suggested to Jun that we could see prov:service and prov:provenance
(which looks strange agreed, but it's the one chosen in the PAQ)
as optional reserved attributes.

Luc