Re: provenance of provenance

Hi Satya,

Response below.

On 05/16/2012 08:48 PM, Satya Sahoo wrote:
> Hi Luc,
>
> 0 for renaming accounts to bundle (fine either way)
> +1 for dropping hasAnnotation and Note
> +1 for using bundles as a construct for set of provenance assertions
>
> Comments on current description of bundles:
> 1. Why do we need to specify "A bundle's identifier id identifies a
> unique set of descriptions." ? If an application does not require to
> distinguish between two states of a bundle (e.g. a provenance
> description in the bundle is modified/updated entity(ex:report1,
> [viz:color="orange"]) to entity(ex:report1, [viz:color="red"])), why
> should it be forced to generate a new id for every change in state?

In a sense, the approach is similar to Tim's approach
http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Using_graphs_to_model_Accounts,
where he was using a hash as the graph identifier. If the descriptions
change, so does the hash. I think using hash is too strong
requirement, hence, we have regular identifiers.  (A secure version
could use them).

If an application does not wish to distinguish between two bundles
(note: a bundle does not have state!), ... then
it shouldn't produce bundles.  There is no requirement to generate bundles.

> 2. I am not sure why provenance location, a function for accessing
> provenance and very often application/domain dependent, should be part
> of DM? "A provenance locator is information that helps locate
> provenance descriptions. It may identify a service, or may consist of
> a URI where provenance descriptions can be found." What if location of
> provenance of an entity or activity is written down as set of
> instructions on file (or paper) - provenance of a car is located in a
> file in the filing cabinet of manufacturer? In this case, the
> application cannot use the currently defined hasProvenanceIn construct.

There is no claim that we covering all possible ways of accessing
provenance. That's why we have attributes to allow other ways
to be expressed (you could encode there your instructions to find a
paper for instance).

Luc