Re: Contextualization ---> Optional bundle in Specialization

Since the motivation for bundles (and to some extent contextualization) seems to be provenance of provenance", it's unsurprising that object vs meta-level issues are appearing.

It may be inevitable that people want to do this, but it's up to us to decide whether to codify it.  Is there a body of current practice?  Do a lot of existing vocabularies allow something like this, and are we picking a popular design?  Or are we making something up as we go?

Concretely, what in the example breaks if we just say specializatonOf(tool:Bob-2011-11-16, ex:Bob)?

--James

On Jun 28, 2012, at 3:26 AM, Luc Moreau wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I was wondering about your notion of "normal attributes" and the notion of "underlying Thing".
> The use case we discuss, where a piece of software (rating tool) reads some provenance and,
> with application-specific reasoning, rates entities blurs the distinction.
>
> In the example:
>
>    agent(tool:Bob-2011-11-16, [perf:rating="good"])  // this is the rated agent
>    specializationOf(tool:Bob-2011-11-16, ex:Bob, ex:run1)  // or contextualizationOf
>
> The rated agent tool:Bob-2011-11-16 is generated after the tool has processed the contents of ex:run1.
> In that case, the syntax, by this I mean the bundle, is part of the semantics.
>
> Isn't this inevitable with "online uses" of provenance, where processing of provenance helps
> makes decisions in the application domain?
>
> Luc
>

> On 06/28/2012 04:35 AM, James Cheney wrote:
>>
>> I don't view the property "being described in bundle b" as the same kind of attribute as normal attributes - to me, attributes describe properties of the underlying Thing, in the semantics, not properties of the entities describing the Thing in the syntax.  Of course, not all of us believe in Things.
>>
>> One can easily get paradoxes by blurring this distinction [1].
>>

> --
> Professor Luc Moreau
> Electronics and Computer Science   tel:   +44 23 8059 4487
> University of Southampton          fax:   +44 23 8059 2865
> Southampton SO17 1BJ               email: l.moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk
> United Kingdom                     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~lavm

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.