Re: PROV-ISSUE-205 (optional-activity-in-generation-record): optional activity in generation record [prov-dm]

On 11/01/2012 14:54, Daniel Garijo wrote:
> Hi Luc,
> I don't think it would affect the ontology: we could create an
> instance of a "Generation" and say that the qualified
> entity is the generated entity. Something like:
>
> ex:g1 a wfprov:Generation;
>          prov:hadQualifiedEntity ex:generatedEntity;
>          ext:generatedAt [ time:inDateTimeXSD "2011-10-21T09:21:31Z"
> ]. #Or whatever the user wants to use for asserting time
>
> However, I think that Stephan was against using orphan generations
> like in the example. IMO it is a bit tricky to find
> a generation without activity, but it covers the use case.

In addition to the qualified generation, prov-o allows defining the
object property wasGeneratedBy between an entity and an activity. If we
allow for the creation of qualified generation that is not associated
with an activity, it means that in certain cases we may have qualified
generation without having a corresponding wasGeneratedFor property. I am
wondering if that may lead to inconsistencies at the level of the ontology.

Thanks, khalid