Re: PROV-ISSUE-198: Section 6.1 (PROV-DM as on Dec 5) [prov-dm]

Hi Paolo,
My responses are interleaved:

I am strongly in favour of introducing constructs that provide a way to
> track the provenance of a data structure. There is a ample evidence that
> tracking the evolution of data /along with its data container/ is useful.

I agree

> Indeed, the initial proposal was more ambitious and tried to capture
> operations on ordered trees. It was then revised "down" to a simple data
> structure.
>  I will argue that this is not at all domain-specific: the notion of a
> "data container" or data structure is not a domain, rather it's an integral
> part of what data provenance is about.

I agree that notion of data container is not domain-specific, but
part-whole relations between data and the data containers are domain
specific (workflows- sub workflows-atomic processes, information
artifact-file-folder etc.)

> I felt that support for expressing the connection between data elements
> and the data structures that contain them was missing from the OPM, and at
> the time we devised extensions to deal with it.
>  So to me the question is not whether there is a place in PROV for
> constructs that track the provenance of a data structure, rather what is
> the most general data structure whose provenance we can capture in a simple
> way.

I agree that there is a need for a general data structure (that in turn may
be mapped to RDF graph, workflows etc.). My point was the distinction
between (or need for) a generic data structure "container" and "account",
where we can easily add an asserter to a container, is not clear.

> In the end, we settled for a minimal structure, namely sets of key-value
> pairs, which is what the current proposal is about.

I did not understand this. The use of indexes to access elements in a
container, including addition and removal, are in my view out of scope of
the DM (and rather computer science-specific)

Thanks.

Best,
Satya

 But it's important to clarify whether there is agreement on going forward