Re: Tim's approach on Involvement

On Feb 21, 2012, at 6:46 AM, Daniel Garijo wrote:

> Hi all!,
> I'm reviewing the last version modified by Stian, and now the ontology is much easier to read. Here are my comments:
> Where is the TimedInvolvement/Timed? We agreed yesterday about this term but I don't see it in the ontology.

I put it directly on Involvement to avoid clutter and confusion.

> Why the propery "tracedTo" is not a subproperty of "involved"? It relates an Element to an Element too.

I think you're correct.

> Do we need "involved"? What is its use appart from creating a hierarchy?

All subproperties of involved are qualifiable. Others are not.
The prov:involved property parallels the prov:Involvement class.

> @Stian: I don't see how Start could be an EntityInvolvement, could you please explain? It is weird to have "End" under
> activityInvolvement and not "Start" :)
> I agree with Khalid in that "entity" and "activity" properties should be renamed. From a usability pov is confusing to use
> the same name for classes and properties (even if they are different URIs).

If you want it to be changed, I'd agree with prov:involvedEntity and prov:involvedActivity

> Are we going to delete the subproperties of "qualified"? On one hand, it leaves the ontology more simple, but on the other
> hand it may force us to do some filtering when querying the model.

I say keep the subproperties out. It makes modeling much simpler and more concise.
If your tools are too difficult to use, you need better tools. ;-)

> Since qualified links an element to an Involvement, I think that we could use them wrong:
> :ent a prov:Entity;
>       prov:qualified [ a prov:Usage;
>                             prov:hadRole :role1]
> This is consistent according to our ontology (usage has some entities, but in the open world assumption it doesn't have to be asserted). Should we allow it?

Yes, we should allow the open world. Because it is an open world.

-Tim