Re: provenance, authorization, audit trails and licensing

On Sep 6, 2011, at 11:34 AM, Deus, Helena wrote:

> Hi all,

> 1.       Will the provenance ontology provide a means for someone to specify authorization? I know that has more to do with policies than with provenance, but perhaps we can include some domain independent elements to describe authorization associated with provenance?

I think we should develop an example scenario.  Is it sufficient to state the access rights?

Dublin Core has a property to refer to the access rights of a resource:

http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-accessRights

Or should we model a characterized entity (is this still a popular term in the modeling TF?) as 'authorized' in the provenance as the result of some process execution?

> 2.       Audit trails: who saw what, when and in which context – they seem to want provenance to go beyond describing a process transformation, but also who accessed things

Can this be represented using the current model?  Could an access be a process execution?

I think we should develop an example scenario and see if it can be presented using the current model.

> 3.       Licensing: there are situations in which datasets can be unlocked when a license is provided/included. Can/should we use our ontology to include this information?
>
> Does anybody know of some ontologies that already combine both (provenance and authorization; provenance and audit trails; provenance and licensing)?

Dublin Core does provide a property to refer to a license:

http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-license

--Stephan