Re: PROV-O telcon

From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 23:35:34 +0000
To: Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: Timothy Lebo <lebot@rpi.edu>, Satya Sahoo <satya.sahoo@case.edu>, Khalid Belhajjame <Khalid.Belhajjame@cs.man.ac.uk>, Daniel Garijo <dgarijov@gmail.com>, James Cheney <jcheney@inf.ed.ac.uk>, "Deborah L. McGuinness" <dlm@cs.rpi.edu>, Paolo Missier <Paolo.Missier@ncl.ac.uk>, Provenance Working Group WG <public-prov-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 22:54, Luc Moreau <L.Moreau@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> One more question on the proposal. How do you propose to handle derivation
> such as:
>
> wasDerivedFrom(e4,e2,pe2,qualifier(ex:port=smtp,
> ex:section="attachment"),qualifier(ex:fct="attach"))?

This was mentioned in the PROV-O call today. wasDerivedFrom is here
mainly a short-hand for describing a process execution which we don't
know the exact details of.

In PROV-O you would simply specify this using a bnode for the missing
PE and qualified usage/generation.

:e4 prov:wasDerivedFrom :e2 ;
    prov:wasGeneratedBy [
         a prov:ProcessExecution ;
         prov:used :e2 ;
         prov:qualifiedUsage [
             a prov:Usage ;
             prov:entity :e2 ;
             ex:fct="attach"
         ] ;
         prov:generated :e4 ;
         prov:qualifiedGeneration [
             a prov:Generation ;
             prov:entity :e4 ;
             ex:port :smtp ;
             ex:section="attachment"
  ]

Or, shorter, with inferencing and implicit prov:used (which would
probably be tricky to do in OWL alone):

:e4 prov:wasDerivedFrom :e2 ;
    prov:wasGeneratedBy [
         prov:qualifiedUsage [
             prov:entity :e2 ;
             ex:fct="attach"
         ] ;
         prov:qualifiedGeneration [
             prov:entity :e4 ;
             ex:port :smtp ;
             ex:section="attachment"
  ]

Of course this is longer than an imagined Derivation qualification -
but why make an expanded version of a shortcut?

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science