Re: ISSUE-636 ACTION-1398 Provide spec. text for aria-roledescription

On Apr 3, 2014, at 11:46 AM, Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com> wrote:

> (Related aside: Did we reach a final conclusion on how we can identify
> the locale of the localized role description so that we don't try to
> speak Spanish to the Hungarian user?)

Can you remind me why you thought the lang and xml:lang attributes would be insufficient? I've been operating under the assumption that the author-provided role description will be the same locale as the author-provided content.

> Having slept on this a bit, and considering that you stated elsewhere in
> this thread that you anticipated some things (e.g. video) would
> ultimately turn into official ARIA roles, could we consider the
> tokenized approach? For instance:

> User agents could fall back to group for the mapping for everyone but
> ATK. And when "video" becomes a real ARIA role, the above would not need
> to be changed by web developers. The other platforms still get their
> localized description, and ATK can accomplish that same functionality
> through its accessibility API.

Yes. That's the idea.