Re: [LC response] To Richard H. McCullough

Hi,

Richards' comment requests us to add a definition to the Primer. I
agree with Peter that the Primer should not contain crazy talk.
Furthermore, this definition is adequately present in both the Direct
Semantics and the RDF-Based Semantics document.

Rather than attempting to explain the meaning of 'Class', I think a
reference to these documents will suffice.

-Rinke

On 14 mei 2009, at 02:47, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On 14 May 2009, at 00:57, Peter F.Patel-Schneider wrote:
> [snip]
>> I'm with Bijan on this one.  Our next step should be to say that the
>> Working Group will not include his proposed changes, and then just
>> carry
>> the disagreement through the rest of the W3C process.  I do not
>> believe
>> that there is any chance for a reconcilliation here.
>
> [snip]
>
> Indeed. However, I guess if it would *help* get through the next
> step to have more argument (from Sandro's perspective), I guess I
> can supply it.
>
> But I do think there is precedent for disregarding obviously kooky
> comments. (And the phrase "extension set" is killing me...there is
> no such thing. Concepts have extensions which *are* sets.)
>
> BTW, this is an ongoing thing (I've even found some WebOnt stuff by
> him!), e.g.,
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008Aug/0258.html
>
> Jie, I'm afraid you mislead him a bit (not that's it's hard to do!):
> 	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008Aug/0259.html
>
> I fall back on my account: syntactically restricted first order
> formulae with one free variable :)
>
> (This elides some use/mention issues. And there in lies the real
> trouble with use/mention...it's fine to blur them "in standard ways"
> until someone decides to make a big deal about it :()
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

---
Drs Rinke Hoekstra

Leibniz Center for Law      |  AI Department
Faculty of Law              |  Faculty of Sciences
Universiteit van Amsterdam  |  Vrije Universiteit
Kloveniersburgwal 48        |  De Boelelaan 1081a
1012 CX  Amsterdam          |  1081 HV Amsterdam
+31-(0)20-5253499           |  +31-(0)20-5987752
hoekstra@uva.nl             |  hoekstra@few.vu.nl

Homepage: http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke