Re: profiles and the rec track

Bijan absolutely correctly points out that I am being inconsistent
with my earlier position that all the deliverables should end up rec
track.  I freely admit that.  In this case, I'm coming at it from the
point of adoption of the language (and the AC politics)  - my fear is
simply that the confusion over so many profiles will not be good for
OWL - and rather than arguing for or against any particular ones, I
think we should take the ones we have, make it clear in public that
the designs are stable, but not move them to CR when we move OWL2 DL
and OWL2 Full.  I believe that this would still allow all three of
these important profiles to go forth in use, and interoperability
issues would not be a big deal because the specs would exist - but it
would allow more people to get used to them, to play with them, and to
understand why the are important and when to use which.  However, it
also means that confusion as to what "OWL" is and to why you might
want to use it would be reduced.
  I would hold up as an example RDFS -- as painful as it was, RDFS
didn't get to Rec its first time out -- however, as the design was
mostly stable, it got heavily used among the early adopters, and
supported by the first wave of RDF tools.  Some usages that hadn't
originally been intended came along (such as having multiple domains
and ranges) and these were addressed in the community (without needing
the full mechanism of a WG to figure them out) and when RDF Core came
along, RDFS moved out smoothly into a supportive user community.  I
believe that OWL2 QL/RL/EL could go that same route - and if we make
the decision to wait, we would avoid this decision possibly being
asked of us during PR.
  Do I think we could get the profiles through the rec process? yes.
But what I question is whether in doing so, we will have many people
wondering, as Susie Stephens put it in her email:

> 1.  Given the usage of OWL 1.0 is quite limited
> in the industry compare to the usage of RDF, it may cost many extra
> efforts
> and is very challenging to teach system developers to use new OWL2, in
> particular, identifying different subsets of OWL2 for developers with
> limited logic background

I think she is very perceptive, and I know my recent talks, where I
try to overview the three subsets for web developers is very
complicated (and sometimes hard to answer - i.e. for a particular
application whether to go with RL vs QL, or EL vs DL, when the
requirements are not fully known in advance) - in the industrial
world, and especially in the government sector, confusion often leads
to possible non-adoption (cf the scenario in the TQ LC) and I think we
as a Wg should take that seriously

   -JH

On Jan 27, 2009, at 2:40 PM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> [...]
> >
> 	"""Iąd like to express my support for the proposed extensions and
> profiles
> described in OWL 2 Web Ontology Language New Features and Rationale.
> This is from the perspective of implementing SNOMED-CT, where the EL
> profile
> is particularly relevant."""
>
> +0.5 <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-comments/2009Jan/0024.html
> >
>        (No details, but discusses them.)
>
> +1 <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-comments/2009Jan/0020.html
> >
> 	"""The documents on the different language profiles is extremely
> welcome as
> are the different tractable fragments. For us the tractable fragments
> are extremely useful in providing guidance on which aspect of OWL 2 to
> use for certain problems. We expect to have many applications of OWL
> at
> Ordnance Survey, and each of these fragments will be applicable for
> solving different problems. Also section 5 on the computation
> properties
> was a very welcome and useful (and something I'd wanted to see for a
> while). This should make things clearer to Person and not Logician.
> """
>
> +1 <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-comments/2009Jan/0019.html
> >
> 	They are proposing adding stuff to OWL QL
> +1fuzzy <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-comments/2009Jan/0016.html
> >
> 	"""I'd like to express my interest in and support for the proposed
> extensions
> to be incorporated in OWL2, particularly from the perspective of
> SNOMED-CT
> whose development I'm actively involved in."""
> 	(SNOMED people generally support OWL-EL
> +1 <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-comments/2009Jan/0014.html
> >
> 	Propose new features for OWL QL. They are the DL Lite designers.
>
> I tried to give the benefit of the doubt "against" the profiles
> document. It's still overwhelming in support. I would tend to label
> Stephens' as fuzzy.
> 	+7.4 or +6.4 (if you don't count fuzzy).
> 	+ 5.5 if you exclude fuzzy and TQ.
> 	-2  or -3 (if you count TQ as negative, which they weren't :))
>
> Given all this, I think that it would be very difficult to de-Rec
> profiles. It would certainly call for some sort of last call (but
> that's weird...last call of...a de-reccing?).
>
> I'd suggest that the AC Reps that you are in discussion with send
> mail directly to the WG. At this point, we've pretty much said that
> Profiles is rec track and so it'd be a pretty big deal to back down
> on that. We'd need some heavy ammunition.
>
> So, I think I would not support that absent heavy ammunition
> regardless of the overall merits unless the situation changed quite
> a bit. (I.e., it might work to have a delayed CR if the group were
> extended or something. I don't know.)
>
> Other research or corrections to the codings above would be welcome.

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept