LC comment from Andrea Splendiani

Forwarded by permission.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrea Splendiani <andrea.splendiani@univ-rennes1.fr>
Date: Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: Upcoming deadline for comments on last call OWL 2 specification
To: biopax-obo@googlegroups.com

Hi Alan,

I didn't have much time to go over the documents, but I had an average
look at the "Structural Specification and Functional-Style Syntax" and
a very quick look at "Direct Semantics" and "Profiles".

Of course some details are rather technical and not all can be grasped
on the flight, but I think the "Structural Specification..." is rather
fine. It is of course aimed at rather "technical" people... perhaps
things like "OWA", "Facets", "data-type mapping" could be associated
to some pointer for for further explanation (if there is the ambition
that some non hard-core theoretical computer scientist will want to
read these docs).

Toward the end, regarding annotations, things got less clear (maybe
because it was also after some time reading...)

For instance, are hierarchies of annotation properties allowed ?
Why there is a property as "annotated by unnamed individual" ?  Rather
than just a property "annotated by individual" (eventually unnamed) ?

Sometimes what's new in OWL2 is stated. But a more "evident"
indication along the text could be useful (like with a specific mark).

Something that I think is very important, for the "novice to w3c
practices" is some indication of which documents contains what, and
the relation among them. This becomes clear while reading "Structural
specification...", but it is not necessarily the case the one starts
with it.

As I understood, the specs in the "Structural.." are relative to OWL2-
DL (especially the restrictions on axioms at the end). While "OWL2-
FULL" is "presented" in the "RDF Semantics" doc. And "Profiles" de-
facto replace what was DL-Lite.
If so, these facts should be made more explicit.

So, I think these docs are fine and the features introduced in OWL2
interesting (though much anticipated). Don't know exactly what "self"
is for though... I would be curious to know.
I guess some extra-doc is needed for a "non w3c" public to start
working with OWL: the "Direct Smantic..." + some more general
explanation would work well.

ciao,
Andrea

P.S.: sorry for not having been able to spend more time on this. I'm
in a period affected by relocation related issues...

Il giorno 22/gen/09, alle ore 14:55, Alan Ruttenberg ha scritto:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I previously wrote to you announcing last call drafts of the OWL 2
> specifications were available and soliciting comments on these
> documents. This note is to remind you that the deadline for
> submitting these comments is coming up very soon.
>
> If you have read any of these documents but have not sent comments to
> us, please take a moment to do so, as your feedback is very
> important.  I am looking for comments on all aspects of the
> specification, and in particular comments as to how understandable
> the specification is, any comments on new features, as well as any
> inconsistencies or errors.
>
> It is also useful for us to know if you read the documents and found
> them satisfactory, so simple notes to this effect are appreciated.
>
> Please send your comments to public-owl-comments@w3.org by January
> 23, 2009.
>
> If you have any questions about this process or if you wish to
> comment but need a short extension past the deadline, please send me
> a note at alanruttenberg@gmail.com. If you need an extension, pleae
> indicate when you expect you could submit your comments.
>
> The announcement of the last call, including pointers to the
> documents and some notes are available at the following link, an I
> include direct links to the documents for your convenience.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008Dec/0023.html
>
> The documents:
>
> 1. Structural Specification and Functional-Style Syntax
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-syntax-20081202/
> 2. Direct Semantics
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-semantics-20081202/
> 3. RDF-Based Semantics
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-rdf-based-semantics-20081202/
> 4. Conformance and Test Cases
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-test-20081202/
> 5. Mapping to RDF Graphs
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-mapping-to-rdf-20081202/
> 6. XML Serialization
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-xml-serialization-20081202/
> 7. Profiles
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-profiles-20081202/
> 8. Quick Reference Guide
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-quick-reference-20081202/
> 9. New Features and Rationale
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-new-features-20081202/
> 10. Manchester Syntax
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-manchester-syntax-20081202/
> 11. rdf:text: A Datatype for Internationalized Text
>       http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-rdf-text-20081202/
>

> Thanks in advance for any efforts you put in to this, which I greatly
> appreciate.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan Ruttenberg
> co-chair OWL Working Group
> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/

-----------
Andrea Splendiani
post-doc, bootstrep project (www.bootstrep.eu)

UPRES-EA 3888 - Laboratoire d'Informatique Médicale
CHU de Pontchaillou
2, rue Henri Le Guilloux
35033 Rennes - France
Tel : +33 2 99 28 92 45 / +33 2 99 28 42 15 (secr.)
Fax : +33 2 99 28 41 60

48° 07.275N
1° 41.643W