Re: Frozen version of OWL2 Requirements editor's draft available

Thanks Christine for the clarification.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Christine Golbreich <cgolbrei@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> As said by Evan about the frozen copy [1]:
>>  we haven't reached consensus on the exact structure which has resulted in *two*
>> Use Cases sections
>
> My proposal in [2] is to emphasize new OWL 2 features requirements
> instead of emphasizing UCs by domain, see more specially sections
> 3-4-5-6. This is a working draft in progress to be improved on
> different points.
>
>> While domain applications will be for certain among the leading
>> application scenarios for OWL2, new web applications
>
> A first step was done in that direction in [2]:
>
> - Some UCs for web services, linked data, etc. are reported section 3,
> related to OWL 2  requirements in the next sections (4-5-6):
> Use Case #13 - Web service modelling (Telecom)
> Use Case #14 - Managing vocabulary in collaborative environments (Wiki)
> Use Case #15 - UML Association Class
> Use Case #16 - Database federation

Thanks for pointing it out, I didn't aware of that.

> other web applications or other domains use-cases are certainly
> welcome to be included, if we get some

Just for example, in our semantic wiki application, we have the
following requirements, which beyond OWL expressivity and is covered
by OWL 2:
* We need to say that if "Jie isMemberOf TWGroup" and "TWGroup partOf
RPI", then "Jie isMemberOf RPI" (role comoposition)
* We need to say "Jie doesn't attend meeting x" (negated role instance)
* We need to track provenance of changes of the wiki content in a
queriable form, thus need rich annotation to axioms or a set of
axioms.

We might contact communities like semantic wiki, linked data, semantic
bookmarking (e.g. Twine) etc., directly for more use cases.

> - Section 2 is re-focused on  'Applications and Users' rather than UCs
> by domains
> An option would be to add a description of some leading application
> scenarios for OWL2  in that section.
>
> Question: should we re-organize that section by leading scenarios or
> Applications rather than by Domains ?

To me, organizing by scenarios make more sense.

> Christine
>
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/RequirementsDraft
>
> 2008/7/28 Jie Bao <baojie@cs.rpi.edu>:
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> As I compare the OWL use case document [1] and the proposed OWL 2 use
>> case document, there is a notable difference. The OWL use cases
>> emphasized on applications that are directly web related, e.g., web
>> portals. The OWL2  use cases, on the other hand,  have the majority
>> from domain applications, e.g., Health care and Life Science.
>>
>> While domain applications will be for certain among the leading
>> application scenarios for OWL2, new web applications that got popular
>> after OWL was designed, e.g., Web 2.0, web services, linked data,
>> online video, webtop, etc.,  may also need more considerations. I
>> believe it will be helpful to invite more use cases from those web
>> applications.
>>
>> The working group might need to come up with a way to attract more use
>> case contributions from the web domain (e.g., from .com companies),
>> not only by public calls, but also by more targeted contacts and
>> advertisements.
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/PR-webont-req-20031215
>>
>> Jie
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Evan Wallace <ewallace@cme.nist.gov> wrote:
>>>

>>> All,
>>>
>>> A frozen copy of the evolving OWL2 Requirements document is now available
>>> for
>>> review [1] and comment at the upcoming face-to-face meeting.  While there is