Re: An approach to xsd:dateTime

> On 25 Jul 2008, at 13:33, Deborah L. McGuinness wrote:
>

>> ps.  if i do not have a time zone, i can look for the location of the
>> instrument / observatory that generated it and then figure out time
>> zone based on lat / long and date of instrument.
>> we currently do not have moving instruments yet.
>>

> good - so if you were to do this, you could (with no overhead to speak
> of),
>
> - instead of adding the timezone information
> - convert the time in the 'owl-standard-time-zone-time'
>
> Hence not having time zones shouldn't be a huge problem?!
>
> Cheers, Uli

Two things:
1) I don't understand why supporting Times both with and without
timezone offsets is such a burden.  They
would be two different datatypes, the value mapping of one gets
normalized to UTC and the other doesn't.
In the latter case the user has to worry about what is and isn't
comparable, but users are well aware of that
issue.
2) There is a problem with the approach Deb described for inferring
mappings to UTC.  When we
fall back from summer time (daylight saving time in the US) to standard
time, the same local time will
repeat, thus the pair [location , Local DateTime] doesn't uniquely
determine a time on the UTC
ISO8601:Time Scale.

If we can only have one of these options, I would vastly prefer
requiring a timezone offset per 8601/XSD,
that way unambiguous timestamps can be used where the Time of Day
component is in local time.  This
would be user friendly.

Implied in Uli's comment is that neither option is supported and all
times must be in
'owl-standard-time-zone-time' where I assume that the Time of Day will
correspond to UTC, so I
guess only the "Z" form would be supported.  I would prefer that to
having no native time support
at all, but then it seems that you have done the hard part in DateTime
which is handling the irregular
calendar intervals, while punting on an easier feature that would make
the language considerably
friendlier to users.

-Evan