Float and double in constants, but not descriptions (was Re: A summary of the proposal for a datatype system of OWL 2 (ISSUE-126))

This was discussed in today's telecon (2008-07-23), but I'm uncertain my
view was clearly expressed.

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 17:52 +0100, Boris Motik wrote:

> 1. The list of supported datatypes
> ===================================
>
> OWL 2 would support the following datatypes in class restrictions. For each datatype, I specify the space of values that it is
> interpreted as.
>
> 1a. Numeric Datatypes
> ----------------------

> Datatype:    xsd:float and xsd:double
> Value space: The set of all real numbers between the minimum and the maximum float or double,
>              plus NaN, +inf, -inf, and -0.
> Note 1:      Thus, the value space is a subset of owl:numberPlus, but not of owl:number (because of
>              the special values). Note 2:      The value space is NOT discrete.

Note 2 (discrete value space) is a divergence from XML Schema.  I would
prefer that the value space xsd:float and xsd:double be discrete
subsets of owl:numberPlus.

If others feel this makes the burden of implementation too high, I think
a compromise is to not support float and double in class restrictions.

> 2. The list of supported constants

> * xsd:float and xsd:double

I have no objection to supporting xsd:float and xsd:double as constants.

--
Mike Smith

Clark & Parsia

Tracker, ISSUE-126