Re: A possible way of going forward with OWL-R unification (ISSUE-131)

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:16:32 +0100
Cc: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>, public-owl-wg@w3.org, Boris Motik <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>

Just one more, higher level, point.

I'm *extremely* leary of working into a standard somewhat non-
traditional semantics. The RDF and OWL experience should make clear
that doing simple, somewhat odd by seemingly harmless things can
hugely come back to chomp you in the buttocks. Once in a standard, it
becomes much much harder to change or otherwise work around.

Obviously, if bizarre stuff that's hard to work with gets into
widespread implementations and applications, that's a force for them
as well. But at least there the choice *is* forced and usually guided
by attempts to use those implementations. Thus, it's much clearer the
costs and benefits of change.

So I would argue for conservativity at the moment. If during CR, for
example, it becomes clear that we should add something more to OWL-R,
that would be a good reason for going back to last call.