Re: Action-166 Draft sketch of how to serialize rdf annotation spaces - separate files

On Jul 16, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
> Subject: Action-166 Draft sketch of how to serialize rdf annotation
> spaces - separate files
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 02:20:38 -0400
>
>> After some thought I have proposed a scaled down version of Rich
>> annotations based on ideas from Bijan's proposal and a paper by a
>> few people we know:
>>
>> http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/people/boris.motik/pubs/dhmgh08-metalevel-information.pdf
>>
>> Details at:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Annotation_system_2
>>
>> -Alan
>
> I am puzzled as to why the separation of the serialization into two
> files.
>
> What problems is this split serialization supposed to solve?

We didn't have any current proposal for serialization of rich
annotations, so this is intended to move from 0 to 1.

> What benefits does this split serialization provide?

The intent was to  allow, with relatively simple tooling changes, for
there to be two "spaces" over which to reason, one for the domain, and
one for the annotations. Each file can be separately fed to a standard
reasoner, checked for consistency, queried, etc. In that sense it
tries to meet some of the use cases for annotation spaces, but with
what I hoped would be considered a conservative proposal.

> I have a number of other questions, but I don't think that there is
> any reason to discuss these other questions until the two-file
> question
> is discussed.  I don't see any discussion of this in the minutes of 09
> July 2008.

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/meeting/2008-07-09#line0434

-Alan