Re: A possible way of going forward with OWL-R unification (ISSUE-131)

Hi Michael,

although you asked the question to Boris, let me test my understanding
by trying to answer it:-) This may help all of us to clarify things...
(I hope Boris does not mind)

Michael Schneider wrote:

> @Boris: In the description of the raised issue [1], you write:
>
>   """
>   - Section 4.3.2 would become Section 4.3
>     and we would call it "Reasoning in OWL-R and RDF Graphs using Rules".
>     The contents of the section would remain the same.
>   """
>
> This statement is about the actual rule tables. What I am wondering is how
> this is supposed to work. The triple rules, clearly, aren't applicable
> directly in a description logics version of OWL-R in general, and they look to
> me very different from the actual specification of OWL R-DL in particular.
>
> I need to speculate, please comment: If I have an RDF graph, which is intended
> to be an OWL-R ontology in RDF graph form, then:
>
>   (A) If I want to do RDF-based reasoning, I just use the triple rules as I
> would do it in current OWL-R/Full.
>
>   (B) If I want to do DL-style reasoning, then
>
>       (1) I try to map the graph to functional style syntax by means of the
> reverse RDF mapping.
>
>       (2) If the RDF graph could successfully be mapped,
>           then the resulting functional syntax is checked against the OWL-R
> constraints
>           as provided by the Profiles document (still to be defined, of
> course).
>
>       (3) If the functional syntax turns out to be a valid OWL-R ontology,
>           then the model-theoretic semantics as specified in the Semantics
> document
>           are applied. These are then the OWL-R/DL semantics of this ontology.
>
> Is it this?

I think the point of OWL-R is that in, say, 95% of the cases (A) and (B)
(well, by re-serializing the result of (B) into RDF, that is) the
resulting set of RDF triples will be identical by some mathematical
magic:-) There are some cases, however, where (B) will go wrong,
(probably in step (1) already due to the the usage of, say, rdf:List),
ie, (B) stops, whereas (A) would give a set of proper and predictable
results. That is the issue we were haggling about with Boris... And the
conclusion we seem to converge to is that there should be a name for,
essentially the process (A) although we may not call it syntactic
profile like the others.

I hope my understanding is correct!

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/